College and Career Readiness
A college and career ready student is one who is equipped with a specific set of skills and knowledge necessary to meet the demands of the 21st Century. These skills and knowledge come from five main categories:
Academic and Content Knowlege
This category includes compentency in the core subjects and their applications.
- Proficiency in English language arts, literacy, math, science and social studies
- Capacity to process, retain and apply content knowledge in relevant situations
- Digital and technological savviness including understanding what resources are available and when to use them
Cognitive and Higher-Order Thinking
This category refers to the processing and interpreting of information.
- Independence in formulating hypothesis, critical thinking, problem solving and reasoning
- Ability to identify, analyze and evaluate differing or conflicting viewpoints
Social and Emotional Intelligences
This category encompasses a wide range of skill sets, which are often referred to as "soft" skills. These skills are learned throughout a student's life.
- Strong sense of self-awareness and self-management
- Social awareness including possessing a cultullay sensitive set of values, beliefs and attitudes
College and Career Preparedness
This category includes having knowledge of resources for life after school.
- Knowledge of college academic programs and the sequencing of college-level coursework
- Knowledge of exploration tools used to navigate roadmaps to higher education and career options
- Knowledge of college and career requirements, including financial support opportunities
Employability and Life Skills
This category includes a wide set of skills desired by employers and expected of all citizens.
- Self-directed lifelong learners capable of ownership and accountability
- Ability to adapt communication toward a specific audience, task and/or purpose
- Time management, collaboration and teamwork, organization and intellectual openness
- Civic engagement and responsibilities of all citizens